Tuesday 3 March 2015

Orchid Objectivity

Wednesday, March 3,2015

Hallelujah and praise to the "date gods"! Notice the date in bold font in the upper left corner of this post. It says March.  See, I can't even say it in regular font.  The reason for my excitement is that it becomes apparent that time is actually moving forward.  The 200+cm of snow that was outside my window yesterday ( I am writing this on March 1,2015..oops, did it again)  is  still there today, but I feel an anticipation and eagerness for the spring that is on it's way! I guess you could say it is about how one views an otherwise mundane fact or their Objectivity!


Thanks for allowing me  a rather lengthy segue to the actual title of this post.

My sister recently gave me a beautiful Orchid for a gift and it has to date, survived one whole month!  This  is due  more to the tenacity and robust character of the plant  rather than any ministering on my part. I have fed it 4-5 ice cubes weekly, as per the tag that accompanied it, but other than that I have only observed it with pleasure.  The duel stemmed plant is most lovely on it's own, but I chose to get up close and personal with this particular orchid and want to show you what I saw.


This is one stem of  the plant. I love how each blossom curls into the next to form a lovely arch.



Moving in a little closer, it is amazing how the delicate petals and other parts of the plant can be so durable.
Almost looks like a tiny butterfly in there.



Is this totally awesome or what!?

I know the botanists out there will give you all the technical terms like, pistons, and stamens and filaments, but  I just see pure  magic.

What do YOU see? A wee alien with his hands on his head?? or maybe a ghost of some kind... come on, be frivolous for a moment... it feels good, you know!

17 comments:

  1. Your orchid is beautiful, I still cannot get a orchid to reproduce a blossom. I dont know what it is but growing them for me never works so I just have the plant and it is wonderfully green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, Karren, as I said it has only been one month. I do know that lighting and water are big issues, though.

      Delete
  2. Very beautiful, the colors just pop out at you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patrick, I do love the colors,too!

      Delete
  3. I agree beautiful lovely colour :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve, I have to agree. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  4. My mother fave flower =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly see why it would be a favorite flower. Your mother has good taste..... but then of course,that's why you are here!!

      Delete
  5. I can see what appears to be a dove, or a bird flying straight at the camera, flying straight over the tiny butterfly!
    Glad it's still doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had to go back and check again, I see what you mean, Kathy. Love how we have different perspectives>

      Delete
  6. How beautiful, I had never noticed the tiny butterfly in the centre of an orchid! Your photos are gorgeous, love the colours. PS...I CANNOT wait for this winter to be over and your pics of the pretty orchid offer me some hope that surely spring will come again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Monica, I cannot wait either. It has been a particularly enclosed winter this year and like you I am (im)patiently waiting for spring.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous photos. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to send you "warm" greetings as well Linda, but they would be from my heart and not the frigid, abominable weather we have had. Thanks for dropping by and hope to see you again.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a little kitty head in there! Beautiful pictures. I love orchids, and you captured it nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam.Had to go back and check, but yes, I can see that, too. Isn't it amazing.

      Delete
  9. that's probably one of the most beautiful flowers i've ever seen--i love the color most of all! happy march!

    ReplyDelete