Monday 29 April 2013

A-Z Challenge ---"Y" is for Yucca

Well, Hello there!!! I am so pleased that you stopped by  to visit!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                        
    For the past many years I have had an interest...no, make that a fascination with herbs, spices and seasonings. - About how they were used by our ancestors centuries ago for a variety of ailments, and how they are used today to enhance your favorite recipe.

With this in mind I am attempting to present a different herb, spice or seasoning  for each day of the  A-Z Challenge. Please drop by often and perhaps we both will learn something new.

Learn more about these terms

"Y" is for Yarrow

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, here we are with the finish line in clear site. There are a couple of other "Y" contenders, Yerba Mate, and Yucca, but decided to go with.....

YARROW




Yarrow grows everywhere, in the grass, in meadows, pastures, and by the roadside. As it creeps greatly by its roots and multiplies by seeds it becomes a troublesome weed in gardens, into which it is seldom admitted in this country, though it is cultivated in the gardens of Madeira.


Achillea millefolium is cultivated as an ornamental by many plant nurseries. It is planted in gardens and natural landscaping settings of diverse climates and styles. They include native plant and drought-tolerant, and wildlife  gardens.. The plant is a frequent component o fbutterfly gardens. The plant prefers well-drained soil in full sun, but can be grown in less ideal conditions. 

Note:  I have been unable to find any culinary uses of this herb, but some of the medicinal uses are:

The herb is purported to be a diaphoretic, astringent tonic, stimulant and mild aromatic. The plant also has a long history as a powerful 'healing herb' used topically for wounds, cuts and abrasions. The genus name Achillea  is derived from mythical Greek character, Achilles, who reportedly carried it with his army to treat battle wounds. This medicinal action is also reflected in some of the common names mentioned below, such as staunch weed and soldier's wound wort.

In the Middle Ages, yarrow was part of a herbal mixture known as gruit used in the flavouring of beer prior to the use of hops.The flowers and leaves are used in making some liquors and bitters.
( maybe this could be considered "culinary"??!!)




Sources: Wikipedia and Wikipedia images


Disclaimer

The material provided on this site is designed for information and educational purposes only. The materials are not intended to be a self diagnostic and/or self treatment tool. I encourage you to use this information as a tool for discussing your condition with your health practitioner.    *The medicinal usages are for informational and educational purposes only*

9 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was a yellow yarrow. If I find it in my garden, now I usually leave it. Trouble is I get at the gardens so early in the season, I usually end up removing it as a weed.I wish I knew what it looked like just out of the ground. Guess you thought of using 'yucca', then decided on yarrow. Great 'Y' word and post.
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. Is this the same thing we used to call Queen Anne's Lace? It also comes in a deep pink, but I have only seen the white variety.

      Delete
    2. Oh, so that's what Queen Anne's lace is, yarrow! I had a little bit of the yellow variety in my garden years ago and pulled it out thinking it was a weed. Now, I hope it comes back.
      Maybe for next years challenge you can do a follow up theme and tell us all how to preserve and mix the herbs up for eating and for medicinal purposes.
      Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

      Delete
  2. It also is very, very pretty! Congrats on being almost done with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, and back at you!! I tried to be your "follower" but kept meeting resistance.. will try again later. Cheers!

      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  3. Hilary Melton-Butcher did Yarrow today too. Interesting plant.

    I am passing on the Liebster award to you. If you check my blog on Wednesday, May 1 you can find out what its all about.

    JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea Yarrow was a medicinal herb, I guess I shouldn't really be that surprised as it is a plant that has been around forever and to have survived all this time it was probably cultivated at one time or another.
    I think Queen Anne's Lace and Yarrow are possibly related but I don't believe they are the same plant
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree,Monica, they don't look exactly alike, but they kind of remind me of one another. I am really learning a lot from all the different blogs. Hard to believe it's over. LOL!

      Delete