Tuesday 9 April 2013

A-Z Blogging --"H" is for Horseradish



 For the past many years I have had an interest...no, make that a fascination with herbs, spices and seasonings. - About how they were used by our ancestors centuries ago for a variety of ailments, and how they are used today to enhance your favorite recipe.

With this in mind I am attempting to present a different herb, spice or seasoning  for each day of the  A-Z Challenge. Please drop by often and perhaps we both will learn something new.
   Learn more about these terms.


                           "H" is for Horseradish  




Another "H" herb is "Herbs de Provence, but it is actually a mixture of several other herbs, and was initially used primarily in France and other European areas. Also, I could not find specific health benefits for this herb. Therefore, I went with  one that I have only learned to enjoy in the last decade.

HORSERADISH

This plant, which is in the same family as mustard,broccoli and cabbage is native to Europe but is now popular around the world. It grows up to 1.5 meters (5 feet) tall  and is cultivated primarily for its large, white tapered root.                                                                                                                          
The intact horseradish has hardly any aroma. When cut or grated, however,the plant cells break down to produce a substance which irritates the eyes and nose. Once exposed to air ( via grating) if not used immediately or mixed with vinegar it loses it pungency and becomes bitter tasting.
Available fresh or as a prepared horseradish, it can be found in many supermarkets year round.

Horseradish matches well with apples, beef, beet, chicken, eggs, fish , pork, salmon or shellfish. I have even used it as a spread on crackers or small sandwiches.

It's time for Herbs and Spices!

Medicinal Usages
Whether its fighting the flu and respiratory disorders or combating tonsillitis   and urinary tract infections, horseradish is a condiment that can help keep you healthy. Used to treat a wide variety of ailments over centuries,nearly every part of the horseradish plant seems to have some medicinal value. Tea made from its root has been used as an expectorant, while tea brewed from its flowers can be used to fight the common cold. A poultice can also be made of its roots to externally treat joint discomfort. In addition raw leaves of horseradish also fulfill a purpose as a natural analgesic and pressed against the forehead can eliminate headache pain. Also, an infusion of horseradish has known antibiotic properties which have been proven effective against pathogenic fungi.

Horseradish contains significant amounts of cancer-fighting compounds called "glucosinolates" which increase the liver's ability to detoxify carcinogens and may suppress the growth of tumors.                                                                               

Sources:
~Life Extension     http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2009/nov2009_Horseradish-Protection-Against-Cancer-And-More_01.htm
~Kitchen Dictionary- Food.com


Disclaimer

The material provided on this site is designed for information and educational purposes only. The materials are not intended to be a self diagnostic and/or self treatment tool. I encourage you to use this information as a tool for discussing your condition with your health practitioner.    *The medicinal usages are for informational and educational purposes only*



                                                                           

                                    

12 comments:

  1. I had no idea about its medicinal properties, I recently had problems with a UTI, if only I'd known.

    I love horseradish with my beef, even on steaks.

    JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby is a big fan of horseradish but I only recently developed a taste for it.... now I love it! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I used to HATE horseradish, but now I think it's amazing. Definitely a wonderful compliment for food.

    Happy A through Z posting.
    pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally the same... thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. Yum! i love making cocktail sauce for shrimp with horseradish sauce- love the kick it gives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of shrimp, but bet it would be great with other fish as well. Thanks for your comment.

      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  4. I loved the post, and I love horseradish. I did have one bad experience with it. I sniffed fresh horseradish without realizing that the stuff can burn the daylights out of the sinuses. It is a mistake that I never made again! Happy A to Z to U.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my, I want to laugh when I read this, but it is not funny. I sure bet it cleaned out your sinuses!!!
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  5. I'm not a fan of horseradish, I have to say. Love your theme, though - nice to see the medicinal properties as well as the culinary uses.

    Erina at A Pragmatic Pagan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erina, appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  6. For some reason horseradish make me think of my grandfather. He must have loved it. By the description you provided it has lots of great uses.
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, I have never associated Grampy with horseradish.

      Delete