Tuesday 26 June 2012

Wellness


June 26,2012



Congratulations to all the participants of the Biannual  Blogathon Bash! It was a fun week-end and a great learning experience.  But for now, back to what is "usual", and for me that is a post on  Wellness. After a brisk walk along a harbour front and the smell of sea air I feel rather invigorated. Also noticed that despite what you would think, I actually feel less tired,less stressed and better able to deal with  whatever this day has in store for me.

What  a  topic for  "Wellness" , says I!!!    Q. What causes this feeling of wellness?

A.  Endorphins are among the brain chemicals known as neurotransmitters, which function to transmit electrical signals within the nervous system. At least 20 types of endorphins have been demonstrated in humans. Endorphins can be found in the pituitary gland, in other parts of the brain, or distributed throughout the nervous system.
In addition to decreased feelings of pain, secretion of endorphins leads to feelings of euphoria modulation of appetite, release of sex hormones, and enhancement of the immune response. With high endorphin levels, we feel less pain and fewer negative effects of stress.


 Certain foods contain endorphins.  Chocolate..... that's right... and spicy foods, like  chili peppers, also release endorphins.The release of endorphins upon ingestion of chocolate likely explains the comforting feelings that many people associate with this food and the craving for chocolate. Endorphin release varies among individuals. You and I could both exercise the same amount, experience similar amounts of discomfort but not feel the same effects  of endorphins.

I came across this video  that discusses endorphins and  thought perhaps you might enjoy it.
Here's to chocolate, spicy foods, and....... feeling well!!  Cheers!

Take care !

Information for this post was obtained from MedicineNet.com

For  further information on this topic see: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55001


Disclaimer

The material provided on this site is designed for information and educational purposes only. The materials are not intended to be a self diagnostic and/or self treatment tool. I encourage you to use this information as a tool for discussing your condition with your health practitioner.

5 comments:

  1. I can take chocolate, but for me it would be coffee or caramel flavour....but I don't think they'd be the same.
    Great post.
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy, I must admit that I am partial to coffee or caramel flavor too, but I think you are right, that they would not have the same endorphin producing effect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...LOVE chocolate! I also love your new look...well done, looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like chocolate but I "do not" love chocolate, and since I'm a Minnesota girl, oh my, do I do horrible with spicy ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your reply, Jamie. I am not a BIG chocolate lover myself, but it's good to know and gives me an excuse to "choke down" the occasional choc. bar!!! Re spicy.... depends on my mood!! Take care and hope you are having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete