Thursday 26 April 2012

A-Z Blogging Challenge "W"

Hi and welcome to my site!


As a very young girl I lived with my paternal grandmother for three formative years. Being an enthusiastic teacher and lover of words, she invariably had quotations written all over the house... literally. On the backs of cupboard doors, on calendars, napkins or wherever she happened to be.  With this in mind I am finding the authors, in alphabetical sequence, of many of her favorite quotations and am adding some of those that are special to my family as well.  Hope you enjoy!





                                                                              "W"


 Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900) was an Irish writer and poet. After writing in different forms throughout the 1880s, he became one of London's most popular playwrights in the early 1890s. Today he is remembered for his epigrams, plays and the circumstances of his imprisonment, followed by his early death.





 Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.


 Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.



 Life is never fair, and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not.

                               -----------------------------------------------------



Walter "Walt" Whitman (May 31, 1819 – March 26, 1892) was an American poet, essayist and journalist. A humanist , he was a part of the transition between transcendentalism  and realism, incorporating both views in his works. Whitman is among the most influential poets in the American canon, often called the father of free verse.  His work was very controversial in its time, particularly his poetry collection Leaves of Grass, which was described as obscene for its overt sexuality.



 To me, every hour of the day and night is an unspeakably perfect miracle.


 I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.


 

13 comments:

  1. That Oscar Wilde had some pretty wise quotes, for one so young. And I like the last quote of Walt Whitman's.
    We're almost there!!!
    OLI signature: Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. 23 down and only 3 to go... Happy X-Z!!

      Delete
  2. The quotes you've given are tremendous. Poor Oscar with a name like that. Blog on!

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both men are classics! I especially like Wilde's, "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.'...how true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oscar had some fantastic quotes - my favourite is "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, that is a great quote!! Here's to looking at the stars!! Thanks for dropping by!
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  7. Poor writers... I wonder if I was born in those days and wrote what I do now, where I'd stand in today's society...


    Elizabeth
    A to Z co-host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I am sure somewhere down the road, someone like me will be putting quotes on the blogs with the name "E. Mueller" highlighted!!! Happy X-Z!!!
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  8. I like the last quote, and love the sheep and goat so content to be together!
    -MJ A to Z blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by MJ, and love your comment. Wouldn't it be nice if we all could be that content together!!
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  9. I'm a fan of Walt Whitman's poetry. I especially enjoy "I sing the Body Electric"

    Thanks for following Blue Velvet Vincent. Following back.

    ReplyDelete