Thursday 19 April 2012

A-Z Blogging Challenge "Q"




Hi. Happy to See You!
As a very young girl I lived with my paternal grandmother for three formative years. Being an enthusiastic teacher and lover of words,
she invariably had quotations written all over the house... literally. On the backs of cupboard doors, on calendars, napkins or wherever she happened to be.  With this in mind I am finding the authors, in alphabetical sequence, of many of her favorite quotations and am adding some of those that are special to my family as well.  Hope you enjoy!






                                                                                  "Q"




Salvatore Quasimodo : August 20, 1901 – June 14, 1968) was an Italian author and poet. In 1959 he won the Nobel Prize for Literature for his lyrical poetry," which with classical fire expresses the tragic experience of life in our own times". Along with Giuseppe Ungaretti  and Eugenio Montale, he is one of the foremost Italian poets of the 20th century.



Poetry is the revelation of a feeling that the poet believes to be interior and personal which the reader recognizes as his own.

(This one is for all the poets in Bloggerville!! How true it is!)

                                         -----------------------------------------

                                                     

Marcus Fabius Quintilianus (c. 35 – c. 100) was a Roman rhetorician   from Hispania widely referred to in medieval schools of rhetoric and in Renaissance writing. In English translation, he is usually referred to as Quintilian.


(Now this is going waaaay back in time. However, it still rings true today!)

A laugh, if purchased at the expense of propriety, costs too much.

Whilst we deliberate how to begin a thing, it grows too late to begin it.






12 comments:

  1. Great quotes! I love them. Q was a hard one for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie, for me as well, but the "worst" is yet to come!!! Happy 'endings"!!
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  2. I like the quote from Quintlian. It's fine to have a laugh but not at the expense of another. I think a lot of the politicians would do well to have his second quote as their motto.
    Great Q post!
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great "Q"s, I especially liked the quote by Quintilianus
    "A laugh, if purchased at the expense of propriety, costs too much." This is so true! I remember when the kids were little, we used to tell them, a joke is only funny if everyone involved thinks it's funny...I believe it's a quote too, maybe derived from this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that expression that you used as well, maybe the modern vernacular is more appropriate. Happy R-Z blogging!!
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  4. That's wonderful that your grandmother had quotations written in so many place around her house! I love that. :)

    I'm a poet, and the poetry quotation really strikes a chord. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my site, Dana. I too, love quotations and poetry. Will pop over to visit you as well!
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I love quotations. I know how much it must've inspired you to have that!


    Elizabeth
    A to Z co-host

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes sometimes waiting does end things--new follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn, thanks for your comment. Happy R-Z blogging.... we're in the final stretch now!!
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete