Wednesday 18 April 2012

A-Z Blogging Challenge "P"

Hi and welcome to my site! 


As a very young girl I lived with my paternal grandmother for three formative years. Being an enthusiastic teacher and lover of words, she invariably had quotations written all over the house... literally. On the backs of cupboard doors, on calendars, napkins or wherever she happened to be.  With this in mind I am finding the authors, in alphabetical sequence, of many of her favorite quotations and am adding some of those that are special to my family as well.  Hope you enjoy!




                                                                             "P"
 For the letter "P" I have chosen three individuals with totally diverse personalities but all with something noteworthy to quote and keep in mind.




Rosa Louise McCauley Parks (February 4, 1913 – October 24, 2005) was an African-American rights activist, whom the U.S.congress called "the first lady of civil rights", and "the mother of the freedom movement".On December 1, 1955, in  Alabama, Parks refused to obey a bus driver's order that she give up her seat to make room for a white passenger. Parks' act of defiance became an important symbol of the modern Civil Rights Movement and Parks became an international icon of resistance to racial segregation.


 
  I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.


                                                -----------------------------------------------------

 


 Dolly Rebecca Parton (born January 19, 1946) is an American singer-songwriter, author, multi-instrumentalist, actress and philanthropist, best known for her work in country music. As a songwriter, she has composed over 3,000 songs.





 I'm not going to limit myself just because people won't accept the fact that I can do something else.
                                           ------------------------------------------------------------
Luciano Pavarotti,  (12 October 1935 – 6 September 2007) was an Italian operatic tenor, who also crossed over into popular music eventually becoming one of the most commercially successful tenors of all time.

If children are not introduced to music at an early age, I believe something fundamental is actually being taken from them
 

7 comments:

  1. What a great quote from Ms. Parks. I didn't know Dolly was involved in so many things and this world would not have been the same without the music and now quotes of Mr. Pavarotti. Great "P" post.
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy, it was a challenge for sure, but the learning experience is great!

      Delete
  2. mrs. park's quote is wonderful--so much wisdom in that thought---my dad always said--"know what your answer will be"--love dolly and so true about the music

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kathy and Lynn, Rosa Parks is an inspiration for all of us and how true is Pavarotti's quote, I often think of the immense impact of music on my life. This reminds me of another great "P" quote..."Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything." Plato

    Monica, Older Mommy Still Yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Monica, I have never heard that quote from Plato before, but it always amazes me when I realize that the more things change the more they stay the same ( I think that is also a quote by ?? someone) Even in Plato's time the need for music was so evident. thanks for telling me that.
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  4. Three completely wonderful choices for the letter P!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post, intersting people to select for 'P'. Just returning your visit to my post.

    ReplyDelete