Thursday 12 April 2012

A-Z Blogging Challenge "K"

Hi. Happy to See You!
As a very young girl I lived with my paternal grandmother for three formative years. Being an enthusiastic teacher and lover of words,
she invariably had quotations written all over the house... literally. On the backs of cupboard doors, on calendars, napkins or wherever she happened to be.  With this in mind I am finding the authors, in alphabetical sequence, of many of her favorite quotations and am adding some of those that are special to my family as well.  Hope you enjoy!




                                                                    "K"




Omar Khayyam (1048–1131;  was a Persian polymath: philosopher,mathematician, astronomer, and poet. He also wrote treatises on mechanics, geography, mineralogy,  music,climatology and  theology.




This quote is one of those that has really impacted my life. I first read it when my grandmother ( actually this one was from my Mother's mother) wrote it in a book of mine.I try to think of it before I open my mouth.

The moving finger writes and having writ moves on. And all your piety or wit can't lure it back  nor all your tears wash out a single word of it.
                                                   
Despite his very cerebral nature he apparently had a very human side as well. I also like this quote attributed to him.


A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou.




 Helen Adams Keller (June 27, 1880 – June 1, 1968) was an American author, political activist, and lecturer. She was the first deaf blind person to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree.The story of how Keller's teacher, Anne Sullivan, broke through the isolation imposed by a near complete lack of language, allowing the girl to blossom as she learned to communicate, has become widely known through the dramatic depictions of the play and film The Miracle Worker.
 
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.
To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
 

 

15 comments:

  1. Omar Khayyam was such an intelligent guy. My gosh! he did all that? These ar the people who impact other people's lives. In fact, I am challenged and would like to impact someone's life.. :) though I'm not sure how I'd fare at math. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cecilia, I am sure you impact someones life every time you look them in the eye and smile..... it's the small,everyday things that matter.
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  2. Thanks for commenting on my letter J post. And I am sooo glad to know another Josh Groban fan.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, very inspiring. Thanks for the ray of sunshine.


    Elizabeth

    A to Z co-host

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I could never remember all of that quote, 'the moving finger...., and didn't know who said it. And Helen is so right about the pine needles and moss.
    Great post.
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I find so much to admire in these people.
      Thanks for the comment.
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  5. Pat, I never knew "The moving finger..." quote was from our maternal grandmother. Helen Keller must have been an amazing woman, I wish I had know her. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Monica, Grammie wrote that in an "autograph book" that I had as a child. Wish I still had it. Helen Keller was truly an inspiration.
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  6. What an awesome concept! And I love that she had them all over the place.

    Jessica
    A to Z Blogger & SF/Fantasy Writer @ Visions of Other Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful way to honor your grandmother! I love this idea for your posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omar Khayyam - knew the quote and have told it to my girls - however never knew the author. For those young at heart you can also see it at the start of the the "original" Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer (or might be Rudolf's Shiny New Year) Even true for a "kids" show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, Kelly, now I am the one who is learning something new. I have to say that I never knew that about the Rudolph thing. Will have to keep it in mind come Christmas season!!!! Thanks.
      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete