Wednesday 11 April 2012

A-Z Blogging Challenge "J"

Hi. Happy to See You!
As a very young girl I lived with my paternal grandmother for three formative years. Being an enthusiastic teacher and lover of words,
she invariably had quotations written all over the house... literally. On the backs of cupboard doors, on calendars, napkins or wherever she happened to be.  With this in mind I am finding the authors, in alphabetical sequence, of many of her favorite quotations and am adding some of those that are special to my family as well.  Hope you enjoy!
                                                                     



                                                                             "J"





 Thomas Jefferson (April 13, 1743 (April 2, 1743  – July 4, 1826) was an American Founding Father who was the principal author of the United States Declaration of Independence (1776) and the third President of the United States (1801–1809). It is interesting to note that Jefferson was a  very knowledgeable man who spoke five languages and was deeply interested in science, invention, architecture, religion and philosophy.







 But friendship is precious, not only in the shade, but in the sunshine of life, and thanks to a benevolent arrangement the greater part of life is sunshine.


 Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it.




Now, in an effort at being fair, I have chosen a quotation that is more contemporary than those generally seen.

 James Todd Smith (born January 14, 1968), better known as LL Cool J (an abbreviation for Ladies Love Cool James, is an American rapper, entrepreneur, and actor from New York.

 Dreams don't have deadlines. I'm thinking of doing bigger and better things and having more fun with it.

This , incidentally, was not on my grandmother's list, but still noteworthy.!
 




11 comments:

  1. Nope, can't see your grandmother having an LL Cool J quote written on the cupboard door!!
    Also love the 2nd Jefferson quote. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Monica, neither can I.hahaha!!

      Delete
  2. Jefferson has always fascinated me. What a brain, and he wasn't afraid to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's no wonder Thomas Jefferson became President. What smart man. I like his second quote. We always have to be on the lookout for those hidden hooks.
    Yes and 'dreams should not have a deadline'!! Great quotes for 'J'.
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy, I like to think that the only quotable quotes were not uttered decades and centuries ago!

      Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

      Delete
  4. What a great idea for your theme! I love a good quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a nice and original theme for the challenge. I'll keep coming back for more and I may even rob a few of the quotes for my Fb page. Thanks!

    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the LL Cool J quote! Great theme. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice theme. I have a 'commonplace book' in which I write quotations that capture my interest.

    ReplyDelete